Drive Encryption Service
This service provides the capability to encrypt the entire hard drive of your Windows or Mac computer as well as removable drives. Such encryption is required for any portable electronic device—such as a notebook computer—that contains or may contain Restricted Use Information. Restricted Use Information includes Social Security numbers, credit card numbers, financial account numbers, driver’s license numbers, medical insurance information, and medical records.
By default any new computer that is issued by the Palo Alto University IT Department will have full encryption enabled.
In the event that a device is lost or stolen, information on that device will be protected from unauthorized access. Regulations and laws that require the state or individuals to be notified in the event of the loss of protected data provide safe harbor exemptions from those requirements if the device was fully encrypted. Thus, if an encrypted notebook containing Restricted Use Information is lost or stolen, BU would not be required to report that loss.
- The entire hard drive of a Windows or Mac computer is fully encrypted.
- Encryption is transparent; after you install the software, you need enter your password only once to log in.
- Removable storage, such as USB drives, can also be encrypted.
- Encryption has very low system impact; most systems will show no measurable change of performance.
- Windows XP Professional (or Home Edition) Service Pack 2, Windows Vista, Windows 7
- Mac OS X 10.4.9 to 10.4.11 (Tiger), Mac OS X 10.5.3 (Leopard), Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) up to 10.6.7
- Back up important data on your computer.
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information